Sunday, June 14, 2009

The persistant giver...

We escaped a hot, busy and polluted London and retreated from whence I came...the quiet life on the Kent coast. In between enjoying the sea breeze rolling across a warm sandy beach and stuffing my face with food we took my Nan on various shopping excursions where she could satisfy her consumer lust (which I of course, inherited). After stripping the aisles of Marks & Spencer like some kind of mini, grey haired tsunami for her own needs she turns her attention to the people around her...and she won't take no for an answer. She is a Mrs. Doyle character but where the parish housekeeper was obsessed with ensuring that her guests were full of refreshments, my Nan prefers to say 'go on, go on, go on...' to anything that she believes a persons wants. I've often left M&S clutching a bag of cashmere sweaters and the odd polo shirt but this weekend we strolled past the window of River Island and her eyes lit up when she saw a pair of grey canvas boat shoes...

When I told her that boat shoes were everywhere at the moment she mentioned that I didn't own a pair and therefore would not take my somewhat feeble 'no' for an answer. Of course I happily walked away with them and I have to concede that they were the perfect footwear choice for the rest of the weekend, as we certainly made the most of the sunshine and coastal delights...

No comments:

Post a Comment