Sunday, September 13, 2009

John Smedley's Tailoring


Towards the end of last week I visited John Smedley's newly designed flagship store on Brook Street and I'm so pleased that I did because I found out some pleasing news. The still family owned brand have added another dimension to the labels fine knitwear offering by launching their first tailored menswear collection. I was able to inspect each piece and the collection has a luxurious, yet robust texture making it perfect for the dark, cold months ahead. Having just returned from the Kent coast, I think those days will come around sooner rather later because that cold North wind left my teeth chattering! Ever since I visited their base deep in the Derbyshire Dales I've not looked at their knitwear in the same way. This brand may have been churning out quality knitwear for two hundred and twenty five years, but it has lost none of its passion, sense of craft and desire to innovate.

The tailored capsule collection features shirting, waistcoats and trousers all designed to enhance the colours and textures of their much loved knitwear pieces. Traditional work-a-day trousers and fitted waistcoats made from fine English cloths are as hard wearing as they are stylish and give this collection its foundation. Manufactured in the West Midlands, and produced by tailors known for their bespoke pieces, the new tailored collection of classic trouser, brace trouser and a style with Long John features are as expected with this brand, of course individually hand finished. The shirts benefit from a four piece yoke used to provide a superior fit and updated with rounded cleric collars designed to sit perfectly with John Smedley knitwear. Every detail of this capsule line is extremely well thought out and sits seamlessly together. I have an eye on both the fittedwaistcost and brace trousers as I look to integrate some workwear inspired pieces in to my every day style without appearing as if I'm in costume, I might just have to take another look at the Long John inspired trousers as well because the idea of them is very intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment