Monday, August 30, 2010

X Factor sensation Mary Byrne already had shot at fame after winning Irish TV singing contest

Mary Byrne
Mirror.co.uk :    The Tesco checkout worker, 50, who quit singing aged 28 but returned to doing pub gigs in 2005, won TG4 Irish TV singing contest Nollaig No 1 - which means Christmas number one.

But her debut single You'll Never Walk Alone failed to chart, selling 19 copies in the first week.

Dubliner Mary told X Factor viewers on Saturday night that her return to the stage was delayed until 2005 because of her "low self-esteem".

She's now determined to make the most of her second chance at success and is among the early X Factor favourites after storming through to boot camp with her performance of I (Who Have Nothing).

TG4 producer Tom Evans told the Mirror: "She was very nervous when she appeared on our show. She really lacked confidence in her ability.

"If nothing else, winning the contest gave her belief in herself.

"She's had a tough life and I hope she goes far. I think she will do really well if she goes to the live shows."

After her X Factor audition, single mum Mary told the Mirror: "I did the audition without a nerve in my body but afterwards they kicked in.

"Simon told me I was great and Cheryl said I sent goosebumps down her arm - not bad for a girl behind the till in Tesco.

"I've suffered from bad self-esteem and I used to be more confident when I wasn't this size. Since X Factor I've lost half a stone and my confidence is growing. I'm on top of the world."

Friends told yesterday how Mary has helped raise thousands for charity. Musician Matt Dodd said: "She has a heart of gold."

No comments:

Post a Comment