Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Aaron Sorkin:Being nominated 'really lives up to the hype'

Aaron Sorkin: Being nominated 'really lives up to the hype'


By Jason Merritt, Getty Images
 
Writer Aaron Sorkin arrives at Sony Pictures Home Entertainment's 'The Social Network' Blu-ray & DVD launch event on Jan. 6, 2011 in Beverly Hills, California. 
It's his first Oscar nomination, for best adapted screenplay, for The Social Network, a movie that got eight nominations. And he's pretty darn happy about it.

"It's been such a great year for movies and, because I'm vocationally biased, the year of the screenplay. The old cliché that it's an honor just to be nominated really is true!" he told USA TODAY's Maria Puente this morning. "Being nominated for an Oscar really lives up to the hype."

He adds, "My recommendation for anyone wanting an Oscar nomination is have your movie directed by David Fincher (also nominated for best director), and he was only half-joking.

"I was watching on TV - it's a great way to start the morning," he said happily. "And suddenly the phone started ringing a lot, and it's not really stopped since and I don't mind a bit."

Although the movie has done very well at the box office, he says, there are still some people who haven't seen it so it's being re-released in 600 theaters soon, and the Oscar campaign will likely help put more people in seats.

"One of the things I'm happy about is that we were able to make the distinction for the movie-going public that it's not a movie about Facebook and Facebook is irrelevant to whether you'll enjoy it," he says. "I'm not on Facebook and I wasn't when I wrote it."

By the way, he says, if Facebook were a country it would be the third-most populated in the world - with 500 million members and counting.

So who's he taking to the Oscar ceremony? "I'll see if I can get a date."

But do not expect any of the real people in The Social Network to show up, he says.


usatoday

No comments:

Post a Comment